Tuesday 1 May 2007

Quince jam with cinnamon

What should I do with my first quince?

Quinces are usually cooked before serving. As they're high in pectin, quince jam and paste are its common uses. Or maybe quince jelly? These fruits also make a good substitution for apples in almost any kind of recipes or give them a little twist by adding some into a cake or whatever dish made with apples.


My first quince wanted to become jam.

Quince jam with cinnamon

250 g quince
250 g sugar
1/2 dl water
1/4 tsp cinnamon

1. Combine sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil, stir until sugar dissolves.
2. Peel quince and cut out the core. Puree it.
3. Add pureed quince and cinnamon to the syrup and boil for about 5 minutes
4. Pour the mixture into a small jar and let it cool - first at room temperature, then in the fridge.

I'm not really a jam-person. But I guess the cinnamon got me fooled, because this was good! Cinnamon gives quite much taste in here. We ate it on cookies, bread, stirred it into yoghurt and jabbed onto porridge. Mixing the jam with some cream cheese makes a delicious spread.

Now what should I do with my second quince?

P.S. I'm leaving for Georgia today and will be away for a week. So get ready for Georgian cheese, because I'm getting ready for Georgian SPA!

No comments: