Thursday 21 February 2008

A thought: Coca Cola 'sorbet'

I don't drink Coca Cola. The sugar almost hurts in my throat if I do so and I don't stand it.

After all, I'm well aware that there's more acid in Coke than in acid rains;)

And when I heard a lecture held by the head of Coca Cola Baltic in autumn (that was supposed to be about business, but in fact was p.u.b.l.i.c.i.t.y.), he said that 'all our products is healthy' and that he himself gave it even to his tiny daughter. Felt sorry for the girl. The worst lecture I've ever attended. Not trying to impress - really.

But, hehe, what's this health anyway, right?

I made Coca Cola 'sorbet'. It's rather just an idea - incredibly easy to execute, but definitely an interesting finish to some desserts or a way to enjoy the perhaps favourite taste - consuming less, but experiencing more. Can this even be called a recipe?
And I'm not playing hypocrite here - I liked it.


Coca Cola 'sorbet'

Process Coca Cola in an ice cream machine if you've got one. Or freeze it, processing it in a food processor/blender or with an immersion blender (have the drink in a suitable bowl for that) every 30-60 minutes until it has reached suitable consistency.

As a sorbet, Coca Cola doesn't seem so sweet and that's probably why I liked it that way. It's better to concentrate on the actual citrusy flavour. Good just by itself, but even better with some berries or poached fruit.

Enjoy!;)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been known to enjoy Coca Cola ice cream. I see others like Coca Cola sorbet.

Evelin said...

coca cola ice cream? You've got me interested! want to talk about it?;)

Gattina Cheung said...

I rarely take soft drink, coca cola may be once in two years :) But would love looking at your sorbet!

LyB said...

That is such a cool idea, I would have never thought of it, I very rarely drink soda. But I have a friend who could live on coca cola so I'm sure she'd get a kick out of this!

Evelin said...

gattina, it's the same for me;)

lyb, there's only one way out now, you know. you have to give it a try and ask your friend over!

Helene said...

You're going to laugh but we make Sprite and Coca Cola granitas on a regular basis here. Even diet sodas work great!

Glenna said...

Love the idea of cocacola sorbet but I'm lazy. Here, at the movie theaters and sometimes even big drug stores like KMart they have "Icee" Machines that dispense cocacola or kid fruit flavored slush drinks. The Coke one is my favorite! My nieces like to mix the coke one with whatever the other flavor is: raspberry (blue colored) or grape (purple) so that they're pretty swirled in the cup and they like the taste.

Great job!

Anonymous said...

coca cola is *way way way* better frozen. i freeze mine right in the bottle until it gets slushy, like a homemade slurpee.

mmm...slurpee.

Y said...

A recipe with just one ingredient. Doesn't get easier than that :-D It reminds me of the slushies I used to get on a regular basis from the local 7-11. Haven't had a coke in awhile though. Don't think I intend to - that sugar hit always gave me a headache, now that I think about it. It's interesting that the citrus flavour comes out in the frozen form!

Sophie said...

hehe this is so awesome...I'm telling you, these recipes are so great and inspiring. You're helping me think out of the box :).

Evelin said...

tartelette, I won't laugh. I understand!!;)

glenna, thanks!

michelle, it is! I can't even imagine myself drinking it...

y, a headache...I believe you!

sophie, it's great to hear that! thanks!

Anonymous said...

While it sure is easy to just freeze Cola, I got much better results (more "sorbet-like") following this recipe: http://www.icecreamnation.org/2012/08/cola-sorbet/