...someone forgot to buy hazelnuts. Not a big deal! I had just the amount of salted pistachios and figured these could suite the dish even better.
Although I made this dish for one, I'm going to include the original quantities for 6 people. It's so fast that cooking this for one is not a problem, but rather a blessing. Instead of steaming I just blanched the broccoli - steaming is a technique I have yet to study... I can't help but add salt to the boiling water - come on, what's a veggie without taste?
Broccoli with pistachio butter
(adapted from Epicurious; serves 6 (1))
900 g (150 g) broccoli
80 g (15 g) butter at room temperature
115 g (20 g) salted pistachios (weighed after shelling)
- Cut broccoli stems into 1/2 cm slices and florets into 2 1/2 cm pieces
- Boil the stems for 3 minutes, then add the florets and boil for 5 more minutes
- Finely grind half of the pistachios and mix with butter, season with pepper (the pistachios have enough salt to them already)
- Drain the broccoli and mix well with the butter mixture.
- Chop pistachios that are left over and add.
- Serve warm
This is one of the easiest and most delicious broccoli dishes I have had and made. I will definitely make this again - probably tomorrow already:) The broccoli is just tender enough and pistachios add a crunchy effect. Plus the dish has the nicest green colour! I'm sure it would make a great side dish for chicken as well.
Do make your kids eat this.