Sunday 17 December 2006

Christmas coming - time for candies!

This weekend I got to cook a lot. The main event was making gingerbread dough (of course following granny's magic recipe) together with family, but that I'm going to discuss later.

Christmas is no time for diet, so our kitchen table is already loaded with sweets. Although I went to sauna this evening, I believe I can still smell the scent of flowing dark chocolate on my fingers. Or perhaps it's the air. Christmasy. I prepared the filling for these candies yesterday and dipped them into chocolate this morning. I'm afraid this will lead to making my own better-than-ever (and chemistry-free) Bounty bars.


Coconut candies

150 g shredded coconut
50 g almonds (ground or chopped)
40 g butter
1 dl sugar
2 dl double cream
200 g chocolate

1. roast the coconut until golden
2. mix together butter, sugar and cream in a pot and boil the mixture for 5 minutes
3. add the coconut and almonds, blend well and spread the mixture onto foil, let cool
4. melt the chocolate (I used 100 g dark and 100 g milk chocolate, but I'm sure white chocolate would be wonderful here too), dip squares or balls of coconut mixture into it using a fork (I hid peeled whole almonds in some of the candies - makes me think of Rafaello) and let them cool on foil or parchment paper.

No comments: