Tuesday 13 May 2008

Curd cheese mousse with blackcurrant sauce and kiwis

If there was one thing I'd eat for the rest of my life, it would be curd cheese. Or, well, curd cheese and rye bread. But still. I eat it in all kinds of combinations and for me it's mild flavour is so ordinary that I never use recipes. I just enjoy. Enjoy and ENJOY.

But from time to time a combination just nails it. Just like yesterday. And it makes me wanna share. Oh yes it does.

Although the sauce has quite a strong blackcurrant flavour on its own, it's lost a bit if the mousse has a strong cocoa flavour. Therefore, I suggest using a bit less cocoa powder.
Don't be bothered by the blackcurrant pieces in the jam - there actually an extra!

Curd cheese mousse with blackcurrant sauce and kiwis.
(serves 3-4)

400 g curd cheese
1 dl double cream
sugar (about 1/2 dl)
vanilla
1-2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
blackcurrant-cream sauce (see below)
2-4 kiwis
  1. Mix curd cheese with sugar and vanilla.
  2. Beat double cream with an electric mixer until fluffy and add (or if you're lazy - just mix it in and beat the mousse a bit).
  3. Add cocoa powder to taste, mix well.
  4. Peel and slice kiwis.
  5. Serve the mousse with warm or cold sauce and kiwi slices. Add cookie pieces, if desired.

Blackcurrant-cream sauce

1/2 dl blackcurrant jam
1 dl double cream
cinnamon, if desired
  1. Take a small pot and heat the jam until it's liquified.
  2. Add double cream, mixing. If desired, add cinnamon.
  3. Boil the sauce for 5 minutes, then serve warm or cold (might get too thick when waits overnight - then just add liquid) .
The blackcurrant-kiwi-cocoa combination truly is a nice find I've been wanting to try for quite some time and it really worked out well! An upside-down version could also be nice - with kiwi sauce and fresh blackcurrants...(summer, summer, come sooner!)

The mild mousse is well complemented by the strong-flavoured, but slightly sour sauce and exotic kiwis. Adding cookie bits adds crispness, serving the dessert while the sauce is still warm and adding some cinnamon to the sauce makes it more interesting.

More curd cheese coming to you soon enough;)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I missed you and your recipies. Glad you are back with so many recipies.

Anonymous said...

I think I know what you mean when you say curd cheese...is it the same as cheese curds? Probably, huh. The only time I tried those were on the way to visit a friend in college and we had to go through Wisconsin, the state known for their cheese, to get there. I loved it but haven't had it since and that was at least 6 years ago! I'll have to go find me some.

Sophie said...

I looove these two colors together. I bet this is really healthy too :).

Evelin said...

paula, thanks! glad to be back:)

katskitchen, the taste of curd cheese in Estonia is probably a bit different (if I'm not mistaken, our method of making it is different from other countries), but I think that whatever is similar, must taste great too;)

sophie, it is! now isn't it great when one's favourite food is also healthy!