What if you had a muffin dream? No, really, let's imagine. What would the muffins be like? They should have every good thing in them, right? Starting with...honey. Definitely some berries. And I really like cheesecake, they should have cheesecake too. What about almonds? And cinnamon? Lime? After a day outside in the cold I was ready to take the challenge. What a lovely challenge it was. As a base recipe, I used a recipe for honey muffins.
Honey muffins with cheesecake and everything
100 g butter, at room temperature
150 g honey (liquid or melted)
1 1/2 tbsp lime juice
4 dl flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
350 g cream cheese
1 dl sugar
sliced almonds for coating
1. Prepare the cheesecake mixture. With an electric mixer, beat together cream cheese, sugar, two eggs and vanilla.
2. Now the muffin batter. Beat together butter, honey, lime juice.
3. In another bowl, beat the eggs with a pinch of salt and add to the mixture.
4. Mix flour with baking powder and cinnamon, add to the mixture and stir until just combined.
5. Now fill the muffin pan. Place a cherry or some on the bottom of each cup, then add muffin batter. Pour cheesecake mixture over it and cover with sliced almonds.
6. Bake at 200C for about 18 minutes.
The muffins taste overwhelmed by honey, teased by the scents of lime and cinnamon. Cherries add a sourish juiciness and complete the overall sweet taste. The mild cheesecake topping with crunchy almond slices...the muffins do have a nice combination of textures.
It's repeated often that too many flavourings should not be used together. Well this time I put everything together and it worked just fine. Or actually...these muffins are the best I have ever made. And together with some cold milk...the best I have ever eaten (although I admit I'm not a big muffin fan). Having a muffin dream would not be so bad after all.